ROSÈ SUMMER BERRY JELLIES WITH A WATERMELON, ORANGE & MINT GRANITA
Preparation time: 30 minutes + setting and freezing times
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 750ml bottle Seize the Day Rosè
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- juice of a lime
- juice of a lemon
- 20g gelatine powder
- 450g box frozen mixed berries or a mixture of fresh berries
- 1.2 kg seedless watermelon flesh, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Pour 375ml of Rosè into a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the sugar and the juices, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile pour 100ml of the remaining Rosè into a small jug. Sprinkle over the gelatine and allow to sponge (soften). Add the sponged gelatine to the heated Rose mixture, stirring until completely dissolved. Finally add the remaining 275ml Rose, stir to combine. Pour into a jug and place in the fridge for half an hour to cool.
- To assemble the jellies evenly distribute the frozen berries between eight tumblers. Pour over the jelly mixture, then place tumblers in the fridge until jellies have set.
- For the granita place the watermelon flesh in a liquidiser and process until smooth.
- Combine the caster sugar, orange juice and zest in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes. Add the orange syrup and mint to the pureed watermelon, stirring to combine.
- Pour into a shallow metal baking tray and place in the freezer for 2 hours or until the mixture begins to freeze around the edge. Remove from freezer and using a fork drag the frozen edges into the middle. Return tray to the freezer and repeat process 3-4 times, every 30 minutes, until mixture resembles coarse ice crystals.
- To serve top jellies with the granita.
NOTE: The frozen berries speed up the setting of the jelly, for those short of time!